Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

May 25, 2018

Revist Life in New York City 1911

This restored black and white film is a joy to watch. It's been carefully repaired, and acts like a personal Time Machine. New York City 1911. How many of us have not wished we could be transported back to an earlier time to watch our ancestors?

I went to New York (my first time on an airplane!) after my dad's death. I was 14 years old and it was incredibly exciting to see the big city, formerly called New Amsterdam, where so many of my Dutch ancestors settled in the 17th Century.

Little did I know as I rode in the elevator up the Empire State Building, that my 9th great-grandfather Lambert Van Valkenburg once owned the land where that building now sits.




3 comments:

Marian B. Wood said...

Thank you for including the link to this 1911 movie. That's the year my grandparents were married in the Lower East Side. Quite amazing that something like this has survived all this time!

Joanne Cleghorn said...

Very beautiful image of New York City 1911...

Trikle Trade said...

Awesome image of New York city! It is very beautiful city of USA