Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

February 17, 2016

Earliest Mugshots of Blacksheep Ancestors

I don't know about you but I'm fascinated by Blacksheep Ancestors. I have quite a few of my own!


A historian claims to have found the oldest mugshots in the world. The photos were taken by the deputy governor of Derby Gaol in Derbyshire England from 1857 on.
I've written about these fascinating ancestors previously at

Who's Got Blacksheep Ancestors?

The Tragedies Behind Blacksheep Ancestors

If you're looking for places to search for your Blacksheep Ancestors, see the following websites

Blacksheep Ancestors

New York Prison Records 1797-1931 Online

Online: Kingston Penitentiary inmate history description ledgers

List of Prisoners in York (Toronto) Jail 1814

Photos of Child Criminals 1870s


Black Sheep, Good Sheep

See the mugshots at Historian claims to have found the oldest criminal mugshots 'in the world'


1 comment:

Crissouli said...

Lorine, I have listed this blog in Interesting Blogs at
http://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/friday-fossicking-18th-feb-2016.html
Thank you.