Discover your inside story with AncestryDNA®

April 18, 2011

A Titantic Connection

Recently a cousin of my husband, Diana Bobo, sent hubs an email saying he has a connection to a man who died when the Titantic sank on April 15, 1912.

The man's name was George Graham, and Diana sent an outline showing how George connected to my husband. When I entered the names into my FTM program, it immediately showed me that

"George Graham is the brother of the brother-in-law of the sister-in-law of the father-in-law of the sister-in-law of the great grand-aunt of xxx" (xxx being my husband)

Phew. That's quite a mouthful! Basically the connection is:

   HUMPHREY                       HOBBS
           |                                 |
George -- Humphrey md Bessie -- Mary md William McCutcheon

McCUTCHEON
         |
William -- Charles       STONE
                  |                |
                John m Alma -- Roy md Jenny Facey

Jenny Facey was the sister of my husband's great grandmother Mary Louise Facey

I had a look for George Graham and found some interesting data online. (Google is my friend!)

Note that George was born in St. Mary's Ontario Canada which is where my husband was born too. Small world. He has ancestral ties there on both sides of his family tree, going back to the early 1800s when St. Mary's was first settled.

Co-incidence? Or something else? In another odd twist, I too have a Titanic connection through William Thomas Stead who also was among those who died when the ship sank. This connection is through my great grandmother Sarah Stead who was born in England and is distantly related to William Thomas Stead.

It's interesting to find out about these connections to a famous event or person. I bet we all have one or two.

1 comment:

bgwiehle said...

Your extended relationship chart reminded me of this past Saturday's Quirks & Quarks episode on CBC's RadioOne, "The Anthropology of In-Laws". Apparently, humans are unique in having relationships with their in-laws. (http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/)